bonsai general - 34 views
Last year I started working in a Japanese black pine that was developed as a landscape tree (here’s part 1 and part 2 the history). The work of this year was less exciting than last year, but made me much happier. Why? Because I am now committed to a design direction (ie, I cut most of the remaining branches). Here’s a picture of the tree last year:
April 2012 – new needles are beginning to lengthen
needles last year grew well and the tree they regained some vigor. In the fall I removed the old needles.
Shortly after removing the old needles, I worked in the tree with Daisaku Nomoto. Nomoto and I agreed that a semi cascade approach would be a good way to develop the tree. Originally I thought of making a full waterfall, but the massive base lends itself better to the semi waterfall. It was the transition from the trunk to the most interesting and gradual first branch, waterfall approach might have been the best option. With the firm, I cut of most of the two highest branches.
After removal of the two main branches
We made a little growth in the upper branch to reduce shock to the tree and to preserve the as many as possible lifeline until it is time to remove the upper trunk and create Jin and Shari.
To help identify the front of the angle and tree planting, Nomoto rigged a copper wire and sinker. When the ends of the two wires are, I found my point of view. Vertical aluminum wires indicate the front selected.
Nomoto said the rootbase could be better developed. To help existing thick roots and to encourage new roots, Nomoto recommends weeknight roots with soil.
root base – front
root base – back
roots Bonsai ground covers
with that done, the tree is all set so far in decandling.
This article was originally published on bonsaitonight.com